Sit at the edge of one of these massive rocks, and let your mind travel millions of years back, when the big lake covered the whole valley. As a result of a very strong earthquake, the water went into the Aegean Sea, and the lake dried out, recovering all this natural beauty that you see in front of you today. It’s a geological phenomenon, universally unique. The huge rocks were formed millions of years ago, from a mixture of sand, stones, pebbles and hard gravel, when the three rivers that came to the lake, brought all kinds of raw materials.The petrified pillars of METEORA are extraordinary, reaching 600 m tall. What makes them even more remarkable are the exquisite monasteries, built by hermits during the 9th c. AD, at the pinnacles of the rocks. For centuries these towers of sandstone provided retreat to the monks.
– The sight of the Meteora is unique but walking between the rocks is breathtaking.
– Allow yourselves at least a 2 days visit to Meteora and join the local tours.
– We stop taking online train bookings 48 hours before the departure time.
– In last 48hrs bookings can only be done in our office on 48 Stadiou str.
– Click here and see the days and times that the monasteries are open.
Travel to METEORA by Train
Guided Tours to METEORA
Local Tours at METEORA
In the footer of this website you find the “4 steps to make a booking” and the “booking forms”. Fill the form and start communication.
METEORA is a rocky forest, “Art of Nature”, protected by UNESCO. Choose one of the tours and visit this unique site.