CLICK AND SEE ALL THE TOURS AND OPTIONS to visit Meteora by shared bus guided tours or independent trips by train.
In our taxi tour you plan and organize everything yourself. You choose the monasteries to visit and how long to stay in each one.
If your visit to Greece is too short, this is your chance to visit Meteora.
Visit Meteora and realize why the first hermits chose this location to create their monastic community and seek to communicate with God. See the 4 monasteries and the 2 nunneries, and visit two of them. Learn about the everyday life of the monks, admire their architecture and gaze at the priceless relics and treasures of the monasteries, a cultural heritage to all Christian religions.
When you finish with your sightseeing return to Kalambaka, have a light lunch, and board the train for your return to Athens. Arrive in Athens at 21:30
* You collect your tickets from us and settle the account any day before departure.
* Be at the LARISA railway station in Athens 30 minutes before the train departure.
* Your train comes to the railway station at 07:10 am. Find your carriage and seat.
* 07:20 – The train departs and following a scenic route it travels to Kalampaka(last stop).
* 11:30 – Upon arrival in Kalampaka meet our English speaking driver outside the railway station.
* 11:45 – Drive to Meteora. Visit at least 3 monasteries. See old hermitages in the caves.
CLICK here and see the monasteries that are open on your day, and make your plan.
* 16:45 – Return to Kalampaka. Stop at a local restaurant for a light meal (not included in the price).
* 17:15 – The train departs from Kalampaka and arrives in Athens (LARISA station) at +/- 21.30
To make a booking you deposit 40.00 euro per person for B class train tickets.
CANCELLATION POLICY: 15.00 € p.p. is not refundable. In case of a strike the full amount is refunded.
Price & Inclussions
The price for the 3.30 hours private tour of Meteora includes your return B class train ticket and the taxi hire from the moment that you arrive until the moment that you tell the driver that you have seen enough and want to get back to Kalambaka and have something to eat.
– 1 passenger: Train ticket (B class) 86.00 € | (A class) 98.00 €
– 2 passengers: Train ticket (B class) 82.00 € p.p. | (A class) 94.00 € p.p.
– 3 passengers: Train ticket (B class) 76.00 € p.p. | (A class) 88.00 € p.p.
– 4 passengers: Train ticket (B class) 69.00 € p.p. | (A class) 81.00 € p.p.
To secure your booking, please, click and see the terms, find the pay on line link in the footer, and, deposit 40.00 € p.p.
In the tour by taxi you are totally independent. You choose which monasteries to visit, how long to spend in every monastery visited, plus, you add a couple of stops to take photos, and have a light meal whenever you feel hungry.
In the case of a single traveller the tour at meteora is organized by our local colleague in a shared tour bus.
SEE our BEST SELLER 3 days/2 nights Meteora and Delphi, independent trip by train/taxi and bus.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
* Return train ticket. Pay 12.00 euro, and upgrade the train ticket to A class (recommended).
* Upon arrival you meet our taxi driver and for 3 hours, you visit up to 3 monasteries.
* Visit hidden beauties & explore the area with a local, English speaking taxi driver.
NOT INCLUDED in the price:
* No professional tour guide service is included. It’s you and the taxi driver.
* 3.00 euro per person, being the entrance ticket to each monastery, and
* Your lunch and drinks in the train and while you are in Kalampaka.
Options to visit
If you decide to spend more time in this unique area, there are packages organized for 2 or 3 days. During the extra day, join a Hiking Tour and explore the natural beauty, first hand. Follow the hiking guide and discover the trails that the first monks used centuries ago. Discover the geology of the region. Hiking down (always easier) on the well paved paths from the monastery of Grand Meteoron or the monastery of Varlaam all the way to the village of Kastraki and Kalambaka.
If you think that the hiking tour is a difficult exercise, join the 4 hour morning tour and learn more regarding the monasticism at Meteora. Discover their cultural wealth and have a personal experience of this important monastic community.
Last minute bookings are difficult to work. Plan in advance and get the best seats in the train.
KSL13, Level 6 Contributor, TripAdvisor member since 2005, From USA
Kosta is an all service travel agent
I booked a tour to Meteora via train with Astoria travel at a significant discount from other agencies. Kosta also picked us up from the cruise port and took us to our Airbnb. He also gave us lots of advice about life in Greece. He knows so much! And he truly loves his job and he is proud of his country. I hope that lots of people use his services! I did not feel that he was exploiting tourist dollars, like most guys did. He is honest and reliable.
Travelling to Meteora by train is the most comfortable and efficient way. A smooth and scenic ride.