Athens’ most important museums are:
– The largest archaeological museum in Greece and one of the most important internationally, is the National Archaeological Museum as it contains a vast collection of antiquities. The artifacts cover from late Neolithic Age to Roman Greece, a period of more than 5,000 years.
– The Benaki Museum with its separate sections for its collections of ancient, Byzantine, Ottoman-era, and Chinese art and beyond.
– The Byzantine and Christian Museum, one of the most important museums of Byzantine art.
– The Numismatic Museum, housing a major collection of ancient and modern coins.
– The Museum of Cycladic Art, housing a collection of Cycladic art, with figurines of white marble.
– The New Acropolis Museum that opened to public in 2009 is very popular.